Guidelines for Initiating a Marriage Nullity Case

1. Fill in the nullity request form
Please complete the online nullity request form by clicking on the button below. If you need pastoral assistance during the nullity procedure, please contact your parish priest. If you and your spouse are both requesting a declaration of nullity, you can complete it together, as co-applicants.
2. Prepare your documents
Please prepare the following documents in PDF format for submission when you fill in the preliminary application form: identity card, baptismal certificate, marriage certificate, a copy of the marriage preparation file (you can request this from the parish in which the marriage took place) and the civil divorce certificate (a civil divorce gives the court the assurance that the couple's life together has come to a definitive end).
3. Complete the preliminary application form
As soon as the Tribunal receives your application, a confirmation email with a private link will be sent to you to complete your preliminary application. Try to give an accurate picture of what happened before and during the marriage. A copy of your divorce certificate will also be requested. If you need help answering the questions, please contact your pastor.
4. Acceptance of your application
Once your application is received, the Tribunal will draft a formal petition (official request) and send it to read and sign. The judge will then review your request and decide whether or not to accept it. If accepted, we will contact you to schedule an appointment to give your deposition.
5. Name your witnesses
You will have to provide the names, addresses and phone numbers of at least three witnesses - people who knew you and/or your spouse before the marriage or at the beginning of the marriage, if possible. Witnesses should have knowledge of your family history, dating/engagement, and marital situations, although it is not necessary for each witness to have a good knowledge of all of these areas.
6. Follow-up on the application
Once all statements have been taken, the Tribunal will send the file to the judge for sentencing. Please note that the process takes an average of one year.


1What is an Ecclesiastical Tribunal?
The Ecclesiastical Tribunal adresses canonical problems. The most frequent requests are causes for nullity of marriage. Through the judicial vicar and his staff. This Tribunal exercises the judicial power which belongs to the diocesan Bishop. Church law requires every diocese to have or participate in a Tribunal.
2What is the difference between a divorce and a declaration of nullity?
A divorce is a statement issued by the civil authority (and some non-Catholic Churches) which states that a marriage, which occurred, has irreparably broken down. A declaration of nullity, often refereed to as an annulment, states that a marriage, as the Church understands it, never existed.
3Do I need a divorce to approach the ecclesiastical tribunal?
Yes. Church law requires a tribunal to be sure that the spouses will not reconcile; one way this occurs is by ensuring a civil divorce has been granted.
4Does a declaration of nullity mean my children are illegitimate?
NO! Canon law specifically excludes a declaration of nullity from resulting in the illegitimacy of children. At the time the children were born, it was presumed the marriage was valid and thus the children are legitimate. A declaration of nullity in no way retroactively changes this fact.
5If I apply for a declaration of nullity, does my former spouse have to be notified?
Yes. Both parties have the right to challenge or defend the marital bond.
6What if I don't want my former spouse to be involved in this process?
Unless your former spouse is cited or legitimately declared absent, your case cannot proceed. If your former spouse's rights are not respected, the process would be liable for a complaint of invalidity.
7Will everything I tell the marriage tribunal remain confidential?
Confidentiality is a paramount concern of the tribunal. However, both parties (i.e. both former spouses or their advocates) have the right to view any acts which are not known to them. This means your former spouse can read your testimony and the testimony of your witnesses, although they are under no obligation to do so.
8Can family members act as witnesses?
Yes, absolutely. The judges will assess the credibility and objectivity of any witness testimony according to the norm of canon law.
9What happens if there are no witnesses?
If there are no witnesses it will be very difficult for a case to proceed as the judges will not have the required evidence to achieve certitude. This is sometimes the case with very old cases. If there are no witnesses some form of strong documentary evidence would be required.
10Are there any civil effects to a declaration of nullity?
In British common-law countries such as Canada, there are no civil effects to tribunal proceedings.
11My ex-spouse committed adultery. Isn't that grounds for nullity?
The Church recognizes the pain and suffering that occurs in marital breakdown, especially in cases of adultery. However a declaration of nullity is not a divorce nor is it a reward for good behaviour or a punishment for immoral behaviour. It is a statement that there was a fundamental problem in the marital relationship. In some cases, adultery may be indicative of a fundamental immaturity or an attitude against fidelity. In other cases, it may be something which develops some time into a marriage that was entered into freely, prudently, and with the requisite intentions.
12How long will the process take?
This question is common and truly depends on the nature of the case. Major delays can occur when witnesses are not cooperative or forthcoming or there are appeals. However, most cases take 12 to 18 months on average.
13But I already booked a hall, can't you expedite my case?
Church law is very strict that all cases must be adjudicated in the order in which they were submitted. The only circumstances where priority can be given to a case is in situations of terminal illness. No dates should be set for a marriage until a final decision is made.
14I've never been married, and my fiancé was but isn't Catholic. Do we need to do anything?
Marriage is a natural reality and, as such, marriages between non-Catholics are presumed valid by the Church, even if they are not sacramental marriages. The Church, as such, investigates those cases when necessary.
15Why would a person want a declaration of nullity?
While generally people approach the tribunal when they wish to get married in the Church and are prohibited due to a prior bond, some members of the faithful seek the ministry of the tribunal to offer a sense of closure on their former marriage.
16What if a prohibitive clause (monitum or vetitum) has been placed on my remarriage?
In certain circumstances the tribunal may place a warning or prohibition on one or both of the parties from marrying in the Church. This may happen, for example, when a marriage was invalid due to a psychological issue. In these circumstances the priest will contact the tribunal to find out what issue requires pastoral attention, often in consultation with Catholic Family Services.
17I already have an annulment from the Orthodox Church. What do I need to do?
The practice of the non-Catholic Eastern Churches is very diverse regarding annulments. While some of these are very similar processes to what is done by the Catholic Church, in most cases these are ecclesiastical divorces. As a result, you still need to approach a Catholic tribunal to have your marriage examined for its status in the Catholic Church. While in some cases your Orthodox decree could be ratified by a Catholic tribunal, in most cases you'll need to undergo the ordinary process.